First, the Front Range Toll Road said that they were going to use 660-feet-wide by 210-miles-long. Now they’re saying they need 1200-feet-wide by 210-miles-long. Just so we’re all on the same page, let’s get some numbers out up front:
- A mile is 5,280 feet
- 210-miles is, therefore, 1,108,800-feet
- An acre is 43,560 square feet
- A square mile is 27,878,400 square feet
So, using the old Front Range Toll Road “requirements” of 660-feet-wide by 210-miles-long….
- 660-feet-wide by 210-miles-long is 731,808,000 square feet
- 660-feet-wide by 210-miles-long is 16,800 acres
- 660-feet-wide by 210-miles-long is 26.25 square miles
Using the new Prairie Falcon Parkway Express “requirements” of 1200-feet-wide by 210-miles-long…
- 1200-feet-wide by 210-miles-long is 1,330,560,000 square feet
- 1200-feet-wide by 210-miles-long is 30545.45 acres
- 1200-feet-wide by 210-miles-long is 47.73 square miles
Assuming a 4 lane highway (2 lanes each direction) of 16-feet each, that’s 48 feet wide. Let’s add in another 15-feet each for 2 rails, so we’re up to 78 feet wide. To make a nice round number, let’s say utilities will take another 32 feet, meaning we’re up to 100 feet wide.
The Front Range Toll Road originally bantered around “17 Service Pods,” so let’s assume that the same is true for the Prairie Falcon Parkway Express. Just having visited the toll roads in Kansas and New Jersey and Pennsylvania, I’m guessing that their service pods are on the order of 50 acres. Just to make it easy and really give some room for some more fast food joints, let’s say 100 acres each service pod.
So, if we’re currently at actual use of 100-feet-wide by 210-miles-long, and another 1700 acres for service pods…
- 100-feet-wide by 210-miles-long is 110,880,000 square feet
- 100-feet-wide by 210-miles-long is 2545.45 acres
- 100-feet-wide by 210-miles-long is 3.98 square miles
- 1700 acres is 74,052,000 square feet or 2.66 square miles
So the total usage — road, rail, utilities, and service pods — is 4,245.45 acres or 6.64 square miles.
This means that the Prairie Falcon Parkway Express wants 26,300-acres more than they need. This means that the Prairie Falcon Parkway Express wants more than 41-square-miles more than they need.
But this isn’t just a land grab.